Imagine you are 20 months old and your mom gives you a chocolate muffin that is just your size..
You immediately put it in your mouth and become excited by the rich, deep, chocolate flavor..
You are surprised but so very happy that your mom has given you something so decedent and sweet..
But little do you know, the treat you just ate barely has any sugar!
Your mom is a sneaky one. 😉
With Amy quickly approaching her second birthday (4 months to go! Gasp!!), I’ve come to learn how hard it is to find her nutritious snacks right off the shelf. Thankfully for her, I love a challenge when it comes to cooking/baking. Since she has recently become a fan of chocolate like her mom and dad (can you blame her?!), I decided to try my hand at some chocolate muffins using applesauce as a natural sweetener. With the inclusion of the applesauce, a 1/4 cup of additional sugar is all this recipe needs to make these muffins sweet enough to satisfy a toddler. It’s a win-win! Baby is happy and mom is happy to give them to baby! 🙂
Chocolate Applesauce Muffins
What You Need:
- 1 C flour of choice (I use soft whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 C rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- ¼ C brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ C coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 C cocoa powder
- 1/3 C milk of choice
- 1/3 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
What You Do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together the applesauce, egg, brown sugar, vanilla, coconut oil, cocoa powder and milk.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir just until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a lined or greased muffin tin. For mini muffins, 1 TBSP of batter works perfectly for each muffin. (Makes 12 mini muffins + 8 regular sized muffins)
- Bake mini muffins for 14-16 minutes and regular sized muffins for 15-18 minutes.
These muffins are great in the fridge for up to 3 days and stay fresh if frozen right away for about a month.
They are also both toddler and adult approved. 🙂