As I mentioned in my weekly pregnancy post the other day, earlier in the week, I found myself craving chocolate like nobody’s business! It would have been too easy just to go to the store and buy some sort of chocolate..it also would have made me feel VERY guilty. SO, I did the next best thing. I decided to try an experiment. I simply tossed a list of ingredients together, made a wild guess on how much of each to toss in the bowl, and hoped for the best.
The batter looked just like a soft cookie batter (I just LOVE soft cookies) – first check!
As they started to bake, a nice chocolatey smell began to waft out of the oven – second check!
I was nervous to try, but it was love at first bite – SUCCESS!
Best part? These babies have protein in them too making them a great addition to snack time! 😉
Double Chocolate Cookies
What You Need:
- 1 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 C oat flour (grind oats in a food processor)
- 1/3 C cocoa powder
- 1 scoop unsweetened/unflavoured protein (vanilla or chocolate would probably work too!)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 C mini chocolate chips
What You Do:
– Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
– In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, baking soda, and salt – set aside.
– In a small bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, egg, brown sugar and vanilla
– Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until combined
– Stir in the chocolate chips
– Using a teaspoon, drop the dough 1 spoonful at a time onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper (1 dozen per sheet)
– Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes
– Yields 30 cookies
I’m curious to see how long they last in your house!!! 😉