With our local blueberry season almost coming to an end (this weekend is the last weekend the orchard is open! *sniff*!), I realized that I couldn’t let the season come and go without at least one new blueberry recipe to post. So this week, I put my thinking cap on and got to work. I really had no idea what I wanted to create at first, so I thought that I would first think about what we had on hand that needed to be used up. The first thing that came to my mind was Greek yogurt. We’ve had the tub in the fridge for a couple of weeks now and we needed to use it up asap. With that in mind, I now had two main ingredients to work with: blueberries and Greek yogurt.
I immediately thought about making some sort of blueberry bunt cake. I have a new bunt pan that I’ve only used once and this would have been the perfect opportunity to give it a try. But then after some more thought, I decided to go with a muffin simply due to the fact that we would eat a cake faster than a batch of muffins. 😉 What a way to make a decision, right? LOL
I spent a little over a day thinking up a recipe to try, and last night I tested out my little experiment.
This recipe could have gone one of two ways. The muffins could have turned out totally amazing, OR they could have just been wrong.. very, very wrong. Thankfully they were amazing! I was really happy to discover that they turned out really fluffy and moist – two factors that you wouldn’t normally expect when baking with whole wheat flour – and I owe those results to the oat flour and the yogurt.
Anyway, enough talk – here’s the recipe!
What You Need:
- 1 C soft whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 C oat flour (simply grind oats in a food processor)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 3/4 C plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 C water
- 1 C blueberries
What You Do:
– Gather up all of your ingredients.
– Blend oats in a food processor to make flour if you don’t have oat flour on hand.
– In a large bowl, add the whole wheat flour, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk together until combined and set aside.
– In a small bowl, add the egg, brown sugar, yogurt, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk together until blended.
– Now pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir only just until everything is combined. Next add the blueberries (I used a mixture of frozen and fresh, but you could use all frozen or all fresh if you like), and stir again just until they’re combined. You do NOT want to over mix this batter.
– Spoon mixture into a very lightly greased muffin tin (or a pre-lined tin) and top each with a few extra blueberries for a little more ompf! 😉
– Bake a 350 degrees for approximately 16-18 minutes, or until they pass the toothpick test. Cool in the pan until they’re no longer too hot to touch and then cool on a wire rack.
* This recipe yields 1 dozen muffins.
* Each muffin contains approximately 121 calories, 1g of fat, 5g of protein, 2g fiber and 10g sugar.
Hope you enjoy these as much as I do! 🙂