Well look at that… yet another weekend has come and gone and here we are faced with Monday yet again.
Why do weekends always have to go by so fast?
This past weekend was pretty uneventful for us as we didn’t really have any actual concrete plans. I tend to really like weekends like that. Weekends where we do what we want, when we want. Aside from completing 2 really good 10K training runs, we didn’t really do too much. It was great!
One of the best things about not having any plans/commitments was that I got to play around in the kitchen yesterday. While grocery shopping Saturday morning, I spotted a pack of chicken breast tenderloin marked down. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them, so I scooped them up with a plan for a delicious and healthy Sunday lunch. We do like to buy pre-made/frozen chicken fingers from time-to-time as they serve us well as quick meals when we’re really pressed for time. Thankfully, with no plans on Sunday, I had nothing but time, so homemade it was!
These homemade chicken fingers are completely guilt-free as absolutely NO OIL is used to make them. They are quick to put together as well, so that’s a big bonus.
Baked Chicken Fingers
Prep time: 5 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes (400 degrees)
Serves: 2-4 (depending on how hungry you are!)
What You Need:
- 1 pack chicken breast tenderloin
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 C panko bread crumbs (or any other type)
- 2-3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
What you do:
– gather up all of your ingredients
– in a shallow dish (a pie dish works great), mix together your bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Set aside.
– in a cereal bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and mustard
– line a cookie sheet with tin foil and set it right next to you on the counter. You are now ready to dunk away.
– start by dunking the chicken one by one in the egg mixture
– followed by the bread crumb mixture. Make sure the chicken is completely coated in crumbs.
– lay it on your tin foil covered cookie sheet
– repeat the process with all of the tenderloin
– pop your chicken fingers in a 400 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes, flipping them once around the 12 minute mark. When they are done, the bread crumbs should have a very slight browning to them.
They won’t get really brown due to the fact that there is no oil, but not to worry. As long as the chicken is cooked, the taste will be perfection. The panko bread crumbs give them that perfect crunch that you’re looking for and the mustard gives that extra little something in the flavour department. Serve them with your favourite dipping sauce, or eat them as-is. I am sure they will be a hit!