I’ve had quite the eventful Thanksgiving weekend. My dinner ended up being fabulous (I will post about it tomorrow), but all the moments in between, were unfortunately not so fabulous. 😦
In attempt to make a long story short…
Friday I noticed unusual behaviour in my 5y/o cat, Piper. I caught him peeing on one of my bags which was laying on my bedroom floor. That night after work, I brought him a brand new litter box to see if perhaps he was unhappy with his current one. I quickly realized he was having troubles in the peeing department. He proceeded to lay in his new litter box for over half an hr trying to pee, but unable to.
I rushed him to the vet Saturday morning where the vet chose to keep him for several hours. After being sedated and given a catheter, the vet realized he has crystals. Go here for a good explanation as to what that is: http://www.homevet.com/petcare/cystitis.html
I was allowed to bring him home Saturday mid-day and was given special food and some meds for my poor boy. The vet called at noon Sunday to check on him and he was doing ok. He had eaten a whole bowl of food and was peeing a bit, so I then went on to my parents for thanksgiving supper.When I got home Sunday night, I found three massive piles of vomit — the amount looked to have been everything that would have been in Piper’s stomach. From Sunday night, until this morning, he hadn’t eaten, had anything to drink, let alone pee… so I rushed him back to the vet before work this morning.
I received a phone call around 11 this morn from the vet saying that he ended up having to do xrays and on top of the many crystals in Piper’s bladder, he can also see some big stones that he will not be able to pass through the catheter. So my options… surgery or, put him down.
After giving it a LOT of thought, and talking $ with my dad, I have decided that I don’t have the heart to put him down yet without giving him a chance. He is only 5 years old, so I’m going to let the vet do the surgery in hopes that it helps him out. My dad is giving me a loan to cover the costs and we will work something out for me to pay him back.. because the surgery is $$$$$.My little Piper is on an IV right now to bring up his strength, and he goes into surgery tomorrow. He needs as many good vibes as he can get!!!